Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Misconceptions about Hypnosis

I mentioned in my previous article that there seams to be many misconceptions about hypnosis, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to address the issue.
Lets take a look at the three most common myths:

1. Making people quack like ducks. People believe that being hypnotized means losing control and awareness of their surroundings when in fact it is the opposite. The individual under hypnosis is more aware and conscious of what is being said and done around them then at any other time. A misconception like this has come about from hypnotist shows which are meant for the pure purpose of entertainment and not for therapeutic purposes. Therefore making people quack like ducks against their will is impossible (Trust me, I have been trying for years on my husband).

2. Being hypnotized is a sign of weak mindedness. I get a lot of people telling me that they cannot be hypnotized because they are strong-minded. While I do not doubt that they are, being hypnotized is something so natural to any healthy individual that only people who are mentally unstable or who are not able to concentrate at all cannot be hypnotized.
 
3. Getting stuck under hypnosis is a common concern for many. I have had clients asked me "what happens if you get a heart attack or something while I’m hypnotized. Will I be stuck?" I always tell them "well, just open your eyes and dial 911, you will get 10% off your next session for saving my life". You see, hypnosis is a very safe and unobtrusive type of therapy, the client can at any time terminate the session, talk, blink, cough, sneeze etc. The person under hypnosis always holds complete control.
.
.
Monica Dumont
 http://monicadumont.com

No comments:

Post a Comment